Monday, February 24, 2014

enjoy

This next poem is a writing exercise for my Intro to Creative Writing class.  I'm not exactly sure what the assignment was, but from what I can gather, I was supposed to take a poem (or a song) and create my own version of it.  I chose Bjork's Enjoy.

Here is the original by Bjork:

enjoy

I wish:  I want to stay here
I wish:  this is enough
I wish:  I only love you
I wish:  simplicity

look at the speed out there
it magnetizes me to it
and I have no fear
I'm only in this to

enjoy

I wish I'd only look
and didn't want to touch
I wish I'd only smell this
and didn't have to taste

how can I ignore?
this is sex without touching
I'm going to explode
I'm only in this to

enjoy

And now my version:

enjoy

I know:  I want to stay here
I know:  it's not enough
I know:  I only love you
I know: simplicity

look at the love out there
it makes me desire you more
still I hide my fear
I'm not only in this to

enjoy

I wish I didn't just look
and had courage to touch
I wish I didn't just smell this
and had courage to taste

What do I ignore?
What is sex without touching?
I'm afraid to explore
I'm not only in this to

enjoy

(January 13, 1998)

I'm really not sure what the assignment was and I think it is waaaay too close to the original.  But my professor said she liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment