Thursday, February 27, 2014

Distraction

Distraction

As I dip my foot in the paint
And streak the canvas with my big toe,
I see you.
You touch my shoulder
Sending a thrill throughout my body
I continue to create with my feet
You kiss my throat
I wonder how long this will take
My feet are soiled with hues of blue and red
You don't seem to care
And your lips touch mine
My feet cease for the moment
Let me finish my art.
As I resume painting
You continue osculating my shoulders and back
You just can't stop
I've never done this before
This is an experiment I've been longing to try
Finally it is complete.
You lift me off the floor and carry me,
So as not to dirty the carpet,
To where I'll wash away the colors
And restore my toes to their original state
But kissing me is still on your mind
And when you set me on the tub's edge
I am surprised to find your mouth on mine
I close my eyes and realize
I could get used to this.

(January 20, 1998)

I would say this poem is more about how sexual desires get in the way of doing the things you really want to do rather than giving in.  She makes her lover wait until her piece is finished.  The line "This is an experiment I've been longing to try" refers to her art work, not the make out session.  Love can be a distraction and we have to figure out how to balance both in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment