Saturday, March 15, 2014

Tender Angels Fulfill My Burning Desire (Again!)

I created a portfolio for my Creative Writing class, and I changed up some of the poems I have posted already.  This is the final draft of Tender Angels Fulfill My Burning Desire.  The Sestina.  Remember?  This one is less crappy, and quite silly actually.

Tender Angels Fulfill My Burning Desire

Today, I want my meat tender,
And I'll draw pictures of frogs.
Tonight will be a full moon
And I have a burning desire
To see God's angels
Reading a Seventeen magazine.

Instead, I find I'm the one reading a magazine.
Good Housekeeping's stories aren't so tender,
And the Angels
Won the world series without the help of Budweiser's frogs.
Tonight my burning desire
Is to share Daiquiris with you underneath the moon.

My obsession with the moon
Keeps me from reading my magazines.
It's no problem when my burning desire
Refers to men who are quite tender.
I've danced to the music of the frogs,
But I've never met any angels.

Never did the Angels
Let the series go to their heads; but under the moon
One night, while listening to the bull frogs
Call to each other, we read horoscopes from old Seventeen magazines.
They were all so sweet and tender
And they fulfilled my burning desire.

Never again will I let my burning desire
Be known to an angel.
I'll just stick with having my meat tender;
And I'll look to the man in the moon
For company while reading my magazines
And listening to the music of the frogs.

Because when I listen to the frogs,
I can't help my burning desire
To read these stupid Seventeen magazines.
I ask God's angels 
To watch over me as I slumber 'neath the light of the moon
And to please be sweet and tender.

Tender sing the frogs
While under the moon my burning desire
For the Angels is stilled by Seventeen magazine.

(March 12, 1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment