Saturday, March 8, 2014

Tender Angels Fulfill My Burning Desire

This one didn't have a date!  So I'm just going to guess on it.  But it is called a Sestina.  My professor didn't like it.  She felt it was going in a different direction and I took it the wrong way.  That's a really dumb critique in, my opinion, because how does she know what direction I was going?  I probably didn't even know myself.  That being said, I don't really think this one is all that great either.  It's just weird and after the first stanza it just kind of all goes down hill.  I think the visual of the first stanza is pretty awesome, though.

Tender Angels Fulfill My Burning Desire

Today I want my meat tender
And I'll draw a picture of frogs.
Tonight will be a full moon
And I have a burning desire
To see one of God's angels
Reading a Seventeen magazine.

Instead I find I'm the one reading a magazine.
Good Housekeeping's stories aren't so tender.
And the Angels
Won the World Series without the help of Budwieser's frogs.
Tonight my burning desire
Is to see the cow jump over the moon.

My obsession with the moon
Keeps me from reading my magazines.
It's no problem when my burning desire
Refers to men who are quite tender.
I've danced to the music of the frogs
But I've never met the angels.

Never did the Angels
Let the series go to their heads, but under the moon,
On night while listening to the bull frogs
Call to each other, we read horoscopes from old Seventeen magazines.
They were all so sweet and tender.
And they fulfilled my most burning desire.

Never again will I let my burning desire
Be known to an angel.
I;ll just stick with having my meat tender.
And I'll look to the man in the moon
For company while reading my magazines
And listening to the music of the frogs.

Because when I listen to those frogs
I can't help my burning desire
To read these stupid Seventeen magazines
I ask for God's angels
To watch over me as I slumber 'neath the light of the moon.
And please be sweet and tender.

But the tenderness of frogs
Under the male moon still my burning desire
For the Angels and Seventeen magazine.

(February 7, 1998)



No comments:

Post a Comment