Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I've Given Up On You

I've Given Up On You

I'd like to speak my thoughts aloud
But, it seems, you will only listen
When I'm on paper.
I still love you.
But I am no longer in love with you.
I've given up the chase.
You ran and I couldn't catch you.
I didn't even come close.
And yes, it hurts.
But life goes on.
I've settled my eyes on another.
Someone who lets me win.
You say women only want money
But it's only green paper.
Rather insignificant if you'd asked me.
You never let me finish making my point.
Disregarding it before I've even begun.
I felt I had to prove I'm more mature than you think.
But I won't do that any more.
I don't need your approval of my maturity.
Simply because I am your younger.
It doesn't matter.
We're all the same age in Heaven anyway.
It's the one place we're finally equals
And you can no longer say
Men are more important than women.

(November 11, 1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment